• Create Account

Photo

"Fed Up" Documentary now on Netflix

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline   jaross6ft8

jaross6ft8

Tallest Douche

• [pRc] Senior Members
  • 1971 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

Just watched this with my wife over the weekend... and its seriously opened my eyes to what I am actually consuming on a daily basis. (a billion times more grams of sugar than I thought I was).

For anyone looking to lose weight, or even maintain their weight... Calorie in Calorie out Diet/Exercise recommendations can be thrown out the window.

essentially, don't eat anything that says "Diet" or "reduced Calorie" or "XX% Fat Free" (Not even 2% milk is safe).  Anything that has had natural fats (animal or vegetable) removed to "reduce caloires" have been replaced by sugars (preservative qualities, as well as flavor enhancers).

Also... A calorie is not a calorie.  Different nutrients are metabolized and absord with astonishing different pathways/organs and chemical reactions.  Natural Sugars (like those bound up in fruits) take more energy to absord as the body must break down the dietary fibers first.  Free standing sugars (those used for preservatives and sweeteners in processed foods) instantly go to the liver stimulating fat creation, with the pancrease going into overtime creating insulin to combat the fat flooding the blood stream.

Fructose (65% of High Fructose Corn Syrup) can only be absorbed by the liver, unlike glucose which can deliver energy to almost every cell in the human body (without having to go through the liver)  Theres also studies out there linking the uptake of Fructose to the same metabolic mechanisms as ethanol (alcohol). Alarmingly, with the same habitual/addictive qualities as alcoholism/dependency.

the recommended intake of processed sugars is 0-15 grams for someone looking to lose weight and 15-25 for someone looking to maintain weight and live a healthy life without heart disease...

A large bowl of most cereals combined with 2% milk will take up over 50% of that recommended daily consumption (but you won't see a % next to sugar on the nutrition labels...).  Add 2 pieces of bread (most breads have 4-10 grams per serving) for a sandwhich in the afternoon, an energy drink (57 grams in a large Monster)... you've already doubled/trippled/quadruppled the recommended consumption rates.

Now I know where those lbs have been sneaking in the past 2-3 years...

Edited by jaross6ft8, 27 April 2015 - 05:08 PM.

jaross6ft8.png

#2 Offline   mCookler997

mCookler997
  • [pRc] Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

I'll check it out. Thanks for the info ! 

#3 Offline   mCookler997

mCookler997
  • [pRc] Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

So I watched this last night and what a game changer ! I hope the rest of the world sees this too. 

#4 Offline   jaross6ft8

jaross6ft8

Tallest Douche

• [pRc] Senior Members
  • 1971 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

Just an update:

I have lost a little over 50 lbs since making this post.  I do not regularly work out (I wouldn't even say I have done 1 work out routine since posting this...), but I have been a bit more active with projects around the home.

Ditch the sugars...

jaross6ft8.png

#5 Offline   mCookler997

mCookler997
  • [pRc] Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

@jaross6ft8 hey check out this stuff.. been using a few dressing and so far so good http://www.tessemaes.com/

#6 Offline   jaross6ft8

jaross6ft8

Tallest Douche

• [pRc] Senior Members
  • 1971 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

@mCookler997 I usually use Sriracha sauce or salsa for salad dressing.  Recently I also did a sour cream, dill, onion powder and garlic powder for a "Ranch" like dressing... it was interesting... I gotta work on the ratios.

Just gotta find where that shit (sugar) is hiding and actively replace it with either home made recipes or stop eating that type of food.  The best thing is, I can still go out and enjoy dessert and adult beverages because I am reserving the sugar intake to those types of foods.

I've also replaced all of my "bread" with Dave's Killer bread that is sweetened with fruit juice.I believe its a blend of peach, apple and pineapple.  You can't really taste either, but its just enough to make the bread taste good

jaross6ft8.png

#7 Offline   mCookler997

mCookler997
  • [pRc] Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

@jaross6ft8 yea the sugar is sneaky ! my fiancee is allergic to xanthan gum which is found in almost everything it seems. xanthan gum is made from glucose, sucrose (both sugars) and I believe some other crap.  so bad news.. sriracha has it!!  It is used as a thickener, We have a customer that uses xanthan gum in his concrete admixutre for tennis courts.

On the bright side.. you dont need much sriracha to get the job done. 

#8 Offline   jaross6ft8

jaross6ft8

Tallest Douche

• [pRc] Senior Members
  • 1971 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

exactly.  You aren't getting 10 grams of sugar for the amount of spice that is desired with it ;)  You'd have to eat a few tablespoons just to get 1 gram.  They also sell dried Sriracha spice at costco... I've been tempted to get it.

jaross6ft8.png